Sunday, September 19, 2010

Travel memories: Barcelona

Today begins a series of blogs talking about certain photos & what I was thinking etc when I took them...
The hows, whys and wherefores.

This is a famous archway in the Barri Gotic area of Barcelona. One of many walkways between buildings above the streets.

I first went to Barcelona when I was 24 years old and hadn't been back.

When my beloved and I were planning our visit to some parts of Europe in mid this year 2010, Northern Spain was an option. Well we were originally going to Barca to a friends wedding to a local girl. Alas the wedding and the relationship didn't survive but we already booked to go there.

I had taken a photo of this archway when I was first there but alas the slide it came from I no longer had.

My beloved and I had a hotel right on La Rambla, the famous boulevard that really is the centre of Barca and all tourists go to. As we wandered this area of Barca some sights triggered old memories and I remembered that I had stayed not too far from La Rambla all those years ago.

There is a lot to be seen and experienced away from the main tourist haunts, including cheaper restaurants and bars, and the Barri Gottic triggered another memory, one that included a headache and being very unwell the next day!!! Cheap red wine didn't sit well in the stomach in those days especially when consumed in great quantity and one wasn't used to it!!!

But I realized I was in the right area to find this structure.

I had forgotten so much from my earlier visit there and couldn't remember where this particular archway was until one day on La Rambla I saw a postcard with it on it with its address.

We were leaving  the next morning and had a taxi booked to take us to the airport at 10 am. Up at 7, packed and out the door with the camera. I was only a 10 minute walk from the archway.


There it was...  and here it is, again. In el carrer del Bisbe in Barra Gotic.

No comments:

Post a Comment